Followers

Tuesday 26 April 2016

They shall grow not old…



I’m sharing my April tag today for Tim Holtz’s 12 Tags of 2016.


The techniques Tim remixed this time were paper mosaic and paint resist.  I bought Tim’s paper mosaic kit at a recent papercraft show so I actually had that to use.  When I saw the paint resist technique I thought of rough woven linen and knew I wanted to make an ANZAC day themed tag as I figured the paint resist would be perfect for a soldier’s uniform.  So I knew then I needed to flip the techniques and use the mosaic for the background and the paint resist for my focal image.  I also needed a soldier die and I found one from Britannia dies and it made it here from England in time for me to get my tag in before the end of April, whoo hoo!

For my mosaic background I wanted to create an ANZAC image so I took the ANZAC symbol (the sun) and placed it on a beach, for those who don’t know the ANZAC legend was born on the beaches of Gallipoli in World War I.  I made the tiles for the ANZAC symbol out of metallic cardstock and the beach and sky out of Tim’s papers.  I deliberately picked papers that were printed to look like letters as I wanted to give the impression of the beach and sky being made from letters as one of the more poignant remembrances from war are the letters sent home from the front.  My mosaic is my “M” element for the “Just add M” challenge over at JustAdd Ink.

The solider die cut came up beautifully, it was the perfect die with the pose just perfect for the minute silence and he is a proper WWI soldier too.  Tim’s paint resist technique and distressing added just the right amount of worn grunge, like he’s been through the trenches.

For embellishments I’ve made some poppies out of Clearly for Art Whiteout that you can mould.  I stamped my poppies (from Heartfelt Creations) with StazOn and coloured them with Various Ink then cut with the matching dies.  I heated them up and then used my Marion Smith Bloom Impressions tool to shape before adhering two together.  I filled the centres with Prills, which I had to paint as I only have brown ones!

To finish off my tag I’ve added a metal dog tag hanging off the linen ribbon in keeping with my military theme.  I’ve used rub-ons as I don’t have an engraving tool to add my sentiment.  I had to be a bit creative in making up some of the words for the appropriate wording.  With my text element I am also entering my card in the current challenge at Little Red Wagon.

Ingredients:
Dies, SVGs & Templates etc
Britannia Die ~ 172 Soldier
Heartfelt Creations ~ HCD1-764 Blazing Poppy
Embellishments
Prills ~ Espresso- Yourself coloured with Black Soot Distress Paint
Prima Sunset Sunrise ~ Vintage Trinket
Tim Holtz Idea-ology ~ Loop Pin
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Remnant Rubs ~ Life Quotes
Inks & Paints etc
StazOn ~ Jet Black
Tim Holtz Distress ~ Mosaic Kit
Tim Holtz Distress Ink ~ Frayed Burlap & Ground Espresso
Tim Holtz Distress Paint ~ Walnut Stain
Tim Holtz Distress Stain ~ Frayed Burlap & Pumice Stone
Varous Inks ~ C10 & R59
Papers
Core’dinations Tim Holtz Kraft-Core Metallic Collection ~ Bronze
Couture Creations ~ Acetate
Ranger Tag ~ #8 Kraft
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Paper Stash ~ Correspondence & Destinations
Wendy Vecchi Studio 490 ~ Clearly for Art Whiteout
Ribbons & Trims etc
Tim Holtz Idea-ology ~ Linen Ribbon
Stamps
Heartfelt Creations ~ HCPC-3674 Blazing Poppy Petals
Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz Collection ~ CMS221 Mesh & Linen
Challenges

Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. Great tag! The background is neat! Thanks for joining us at Little Red Wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow the paper mosaic is cool - I've never seen it before and think it is a wonder effect. I love the shiny-ness of it. Chantell JAI

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an amazing creation Emily. You really captured the evocative elements of the ANZAC legend. I love your rising sun in particular. Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you've put such thought & effort into your beautifully detailed tag. Such a lovely way to remember Anzac Day too. Thanks so much for joining us at Just Add Ink this week.
    Di :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cool tag!! love the details

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments, I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know your thoughts (c: